Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ani diFranco - Grey

I rarely find music that makes me wish I  lived overseas just so that I oculd access it. The last time I felt this deprived living where I do was the first time I discovered Tino Dico. This is Ani diFranco; although she is a well known feminist and is more well known for her song 'You Had Time' from the movie Lost and Delirious (2001), I find the rest of her music perfect holiday and driving music playing so loud you cannot hear anything while you are cooking or napping. Her voice reminds me of Alanis Morisette and I do enjoy the artistic authenticity of her music. Some of her other songs, I marvel how she thought an acoustic guitar and an electric  guitar alone could work, but it does. Its poetry to music.

I've put this on my phone and I will be listening to it sitting on a beach in Knysna. I cannot imagine a more apt location. I posted the lyrics as well.





the sky is grey, the sand is grey, and the ocean is grey. i feel right at
home in this stunning monochrome, alone in my way. i smoke and i drink and
every time i blink i have a tiny dream. but as bad as i am i'm proud of the
fact that i'm worse than i seem. what kind of paradise am i looking for? i've
got everything i want and still i want more. maybe some tiny shiny thing will
wash up on the shore. you walk through my walls like a ghost on tv. you
penetrate me and my little pink heart is on its little brown raft floating out
to sea. and what can i say but i'm wired this way and you're wired to me, and
what can i do but wallow in you unintentionally? what kind of paradise am i
looking for? i've got everything i want and still i want more. maybe some tiny
shiny key will wash up on the shore. regretfully, i guess i've got three
simple things to say. why me? why this now? why this way? overtone's ringing,
undertow's pulling away under a sky that is grey on sand that is grey by an
ocean that's grey. what kind of paradise am i looking for? i've got everything
i want and still i want more. maybe some tiny shiny key will wash up on the
shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment